Every now and again I turn to Marthastewart.com to watch a couple of videos from past shows and on my last visit I found these. Im a big fan of Oreo’s and seeing a recipe for them I jumped at trying it, and you know what they tasted pretty close. Even though they are not spot on they still taste great. Two weeks from tomorrow I will be setting of on my trip to NYC and you know what, I cant wait, and these american cookies are just a teaser of things to come (for me at least). I plan on doing a post (or three) of round ups so watch out for them.
1 1/4 Cup Plain (AP) Flour
3/4 Cup Dutch Process Cocoa Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
5 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter, Melted and Cooled
2/3 Cup Light Brown Sugar
1 Large Egg
4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1 1/2 Cup Confectioners Sugar
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1. In a medium bowl whisk the Flour, Cocoa, Salt and Baking Powder together.
2. In a Large bowl mix the sugar, butter and egg. Add the Flour mixture and mix until a dough forms. You may need to get you hands in for this stage as the dough is quite dry
3. Divide the dough in half and roll each piece between parchment to a 1/4 inch thickness. Stack on a baking sheet and refrigerate until firm around 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 350f/170c.
4. Using a 2 inch cookie cutter cut the dough into rounds and place on a parchment lined baking sheet an inch apart. Bake until firm and fragrant, around 8-10 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through baking. Remove and let cool on wire racks.
1. In the bowl on an electric mixer beat the butter until light and fluffy. Slowly add the sugars beating until combined. Beat in the Vanilla. (I made a pretty stupid mistake here. When adding the vanilla I read the recipe wrong and added 2 Tablespoons of vanilla so it was a little strong in the vanilla taste!!)