So its National Cupcake Week here in the UK and yes, I know, I hear you, another __ week, just what we need. It seems like every other day or week is national this or national that. The Cupcake Week, however is organised by the British Baker Magazine and its aim is to draw customers into bakeries across the country and well, this is something I can definately get behind. Ill put aside my cynism for once and try and find a local bakery to support, although I dont really know any. On the off chance there is no bakery around to give your business to, and you still fancy a cupcake why not have a go yourself. So I present to you my recipe for Ginger and White Chocolate Cupcakes. Okay so the cake recipe is from Martha Stewart and the frosting is based on a Billys Bakery recipe but hey they’re mine now! Originally I had planned on making caramelised white chocolate frosting but on a test run my white chocolate wasn’t working out and since I had just enough left for a final run I left it as plain white chocolate this time.
Ginger Cupcakes – Martha Stewart
3/4 Cup Plain Flour
3/4 Cup Cake Flour
1 Tblsp Ground Ginger (Next time i’ll double this)
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
1/4 Tsp Salt
1 Stick (113g) Unsalted Butter, room temperature
1 1/4 Granulated Sugar
3 Large Eggs
3/4 Cup Milk
2 Tblsp Candied Ginger, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350F/175C and line a muffin tray with liners. Sift together the flours, ground ginger, baking powder, soda, and salt – set aside.
2. In your stand mixer cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time until incorporated. Beat in the flour mixture in three additions alternating with the milk, starting and ending with the flour. Stir in the candied ginger.
3. Divide the batters among the liners filling halfway. Bake until golden and set about 20 minutes. Transfer tin to a rack and cool for 20 minutes before removing. let cool completely before frosting.
amended from Billys Bakery
2 Sticks (227g) Unsalted Butter
170g White Chocolate, melted and cooled – use good quality
1 1/2 Tblsp Milk
3/4 Tsp Vanilla Extract
2 1/2 Cups Icing Sugar
1. In the bowl of mixer fitted with the paddle attached, beat the butter until smooth and creamy about 2-3 mins. With the mixer on slow add the chocolate mix until just combined.
2. Add the Milk, Vanilla and Sugar mix on medium until well combined and smooth and with no lumps.
3. To frost the cupcakes fill a piping bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe in circles working from the outside in and top with a piece of crystalised ginger.